Lacrosse Club gaining popularity at Iowa State

Lacrosse. It’s one of America’s oldest sports. The fast-paced game has rapidly been gaining popularity and has found its niche right here at Iowa State.

“Lacrosse is a sport played on the size of a football field or a soccer field,” said Iowa State Lacrosse Club President Alec Johanson. “[There are] two goals and a crease, kind of like hockey. You’re running up and down just like soccer. The ball is going around, passing it and trying to shoot on the goal.”

The Iowa State Lacrosse Club has been around since the 1970s and the team has grown to about 25 guys. The club gets new members from students who have played a variety of sports similar to lacrosse.

“Coming from soccer and baseball, it brings in the physical aspects of hockey and football,” said Steve Linder, co-captain of the Lacrosse Club.

The club practices twice a week and travels across the country to compete in tournaments. It’s the connections the players make with one another that keep them coming back.

“You have to mix it up,” said co-captain Jake Jorgensen. “I don’t want to spend all my day studying and watching TV. I want to come here and play lacrosse. As opposed to lifting or running on the treadmill, this is a good way to mix up the exercise.”

Jorgensen is coming off knee surgery for a torn ACL. He says it was nice to be able to come back and connect right away with his teammates.

Players with a wide variety of skills make up the team, but it comes down to one important aspect.

“Commitment,” said Jorgensen. “That’s the main thing. You don’t have to be the most athletic, you don’t have to be the fastest. As long as you’re committed and working hard, that’s what it takes.”

For some, the sport means everything.

“I don’t know what I’d be doing without lacrosse,” said  Johanson. “I love it and I have to be playing wherever I’m at.”

About ISUtv Staff

ISUtv is produced by students with an interest in broadcast journalism at Iowa State University